Sunday, June 12, 2011

Biased, Violent & Hateful Words Have a Physical Vibration Which Permeates Our Conscience and Influences Our Emotional Heart & Psyche

Never before have I deemed any type of entertainment news worthwhile to be included in this type of blog. That specific type of mindless egocentric news simply does not resonate with the message held within every article of this blog; however, the following piece was consistent with my message of universal love, acceptance of people's diversity, and the Ascension process. So I included it here: Thank you Tina Fey!

It turns out Tracy Morgan from the tv show 30 Rock was gay bashing, and this is what Tina had to say about it:

“I’m glad to hear that Tracy apologized for his comments. Stand-up comics may have the right to ‘work out’ their material in its ugliest and rawest form in front of an audience, but the violent imagery of Tracy’s rant was disturbing to me at a time when homophobic hate crimes continue to be a life-threatening issue for the GLBT Community. It also doesn’t line up with the Tracy Morgan I know, who is not a hateful man and is generally much too sleepy and self-centered to ever hurt another person.
I hope for his sake that Tracy’s apology will be accepted as sincere by his gay and lesbian coworkers at 30 Rock, without whom Tracy would not have lines to say, clothes to wear, sets to stand on, scene partners to act with, or a printed-out paycheck from accounting to put in his pocket. The other producers and I pride ourselves on 30 Rock being a diverse, safe, and fair workplace.”
preceding quote found at:
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2011/06/tina-fey-apologizes-tracy-morgan/38733/

Again, I'm grateful to you Tina for standing in your integrity and highlighting the prejudice and hurtful aspect!

Remembering when I was in high school and thoroughly under the brain-washed spell of right-winged Catholicism, I too was homophobic. I voiced nasty and hateful words after being indoctrinated that "God made Adam & Eve, not Adam & Steve." To an ignorant unaware and inexperienced programmed teenaged Christian, those words were funny to me back then --never knowing their implication nor how mean and hurtful they were! I thank my Angels for helping me see clearly the error of my ways by having me move to the northside of Chicago after college where I lived amongst the GLBT community and was exposed to that lifestyle daily. It helped me to understand they are people with needs, wants, daily struggles and dreams (just like me), and I was able to accept them as anyone else. More importantly, that experience helped me to see how I was manipulated and brain-washed through my own religion: I was dumb-founded, sorrow-filled and incredibly angry I was duped by the institution which I so believed.

When I was in high school and college, most gay people were still in the closet ...society had yet openly accepted the lifestyle, so my programmed beliefs were largely voiced in general discussion and not at anyone specific individual. This certainly doesn't make my actions "okay," rather stirs up another memory of when I was at times a bully. Specifically, once I commented to a classmate in high school about her "big nose." What an asshole I was sometimes for being so hurtful, unaware and uncompassionate!! She immediately put me in my place by saying, "I can't help the fact God gave me this nose --it is who I am! Why do you want to hurt my feelings like that?" OUCH, f*ck was that horrible for me to say, I thought to myself and immediately apologized to her. NEVER did I mock someone regarding their physical features ever again! Thank you Angels for that lesson early in life.

These two incidents were not the only ones when I've been a bully or done or said hurtful things to others while growing up (because I too and unfortunately most kids --if not ALL kids at one time or another-- were the victims of school and neighborhood bullying ...of course this does NOT make my behavior "okay": two wrongs certainly don't make a right!). Why do I share these memories of my childhood? I'm CERTAINLY not proud of them; however, I wanted to voice them to show how people can change. I wanted to voice them to show how easily and unbeknownst to ourselves we are brain-washed into believing our way of life is the right way. I wanted to voice and remind ourselves how easily young people (AND ADULTS) can be manipulated into believing extremely skewed ideas without having the faintest clue that these ideas are fundamentally wrong and incredibly hurtful.

Thank you for letting me reveal a shadow side of myself --an ugly part of me-- I've worked hard to change and bring into the Light. The next step for me in my spiritual evolution is to not judge this shadow side as "ugly, mean or hurtful," rather it is what it is... and to accept the lessons, compassion and awareness that side of me brought into my Being and into my heart.

In a time in our world when so many things are literally upside-down, thank you for allowing me to be vulnerable, for allowing me to expose my dark side, and for accepting me with all my "uglies & faults" and STILL being there to love me without judgment, as the perfect Son of God/dess I AM.
by Gavin Anthony Harrill, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment